When it comes to reversing damage and making smart hair care choices, Hair Peace Salon has you covered.
By: Lisa Black
Dry, frizzy, damaged, brittle hair simply does not look good on anyone. Whatever our style, short or long, glamorous or punk rock, we all want healthy locks. Many times, we are totally unaware of the everyday things we do that can leave our hair lacking that “star” quality we desire. But never fear: We’ve got you covered, from heat damage to chemical damage, and we’ll tell you what you can do to once again have soft, manageable hair.
Beat the heat
Did you know that when you are choosing your hot tool heat settings, you should take your hair type into consideration? No? OK, let’s get real for a minute: Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. What temperature is your flat iron on? Maybe 400 degrees? Just take a second to let that soak in. Done? Keep reading.
You are literally frying your hair! Yes, it might look good now, but what about the long term? Don’t worry, you don’t need to trash your flat iron; just turn that baby down a bit. The thinner your hair is, the lower the setting on your hot tool should be, whether it’s a flat iron, a curling iron or a hair dryer. Seriously, though, unless you are a professional, you should probably reconsider turning that tool up past 350 degrees. Additionally, you should never apply heat to your hair without first applying a heat protectant.
If you can’t afford high-end tools directly from your salon, here are a few tips to keep in mind when you are buying hot tools:
• When considering a hair dryer, don’t just grab the cheapest one that will get the job done. Look for a unit that offers 2,500 watts of heat power and Ionization technology. You should also buy a unit that has nozzles to help direct and focus the heat. This will help get your hair drier quicker and protect it from damage. (What the heck does “ionic” mean? The term, ionic, usually means that the tool generates negative ions. Hair is positively charged due to its water content, so a tool that provides negative ions results in smoother, shinier, frizz-free hair. “Ionic” does not refer to a specific material, but rather, a means of transferring the heat.)
• Ceramic is better than aluminum or any other metal, and it can be purchased just about anywhere rather reasonably. But beware: That ceramic tool might just be a coating that will chip away over time and expose your hair to uneven heat. Titanium tools are about the best thing currently on the market, but again, beware: If they are simply coated with titanium, it may be cheaper upfront, but your tool won’t last as long as full titanium.
To wash or not to wash?
That is the question.
Did you know that washing your hair too much or too little can actually cause damage to your hair? Washing too much will strip your hair of healthy oils it needs to feel soft and healthy, and washing too little can cause dead hair to build up on the scalp and even stunt the growth of your hair. The key thing to remember is that you never want your hair to feel dry or greasy. Having trouble finding the right balance? Talk to your stylist, who can help you find the right wash frequency and even suggest products that can help you prolong or postpone washing.
Here are a couple of tips:
If your hair gets oily quickly, try using a style extender (in other words, a dry shampoo). Spray it in at the roots and brush through using a natural bristle brush. If you’re especially oily, use a brush and a hair dryer on a low heat setting to assist the dry shampoo in oil absorption.
If your hair feels dry, try using a leave-in conditioner or a deep-conditioning masque once a week. Towel-dry your hair, distribute the conditioner from root to tip and comb through using a wide toothcomb.
A “tangled” web we weave
Let’s take a moment to talk about your brush, shall we? Yeah, that $3 supermarket one with the cute panda bear or wild animal print – you know it’s true! There are many different types of brushes to choose from, and each one serves a purpose. No, you don’t have to buy your brush straight from the salon, but you should arm yourself with a few pointers before you buy that blinged-out new ‘do slicker.
• When your hair is wet, you should use a wide toothcomb or a “wet brush” to detangle your hair and avoid breaking it. Hair Peace Salon sells a brush that is so amazing it just goes by “the wet brush.” You’ll love it!
• Natural bristles such as boar help pull oil from the scalp down to the roots, thus creating shiny, hydrated locks.
• Choose a brush with bristles that reach your scalp (again, for oil distribution).
• Hair picks should be used on thick, curly hair; this greatly reduces stressing and breaking the hair.
• Cushioned brushes are designed to collapse when the hair meets too much stress, preventing the hair from being stretched or broken.
• Round brushes and vented brushes are for creating volume and movement while heat styling.
• Metal brushes are designed to help evenly distribute the heat from your dryer and to keep your heat time to a minimum (they can also produce beautiful waves).
OK, now you know some of the things that could be causing your hair despair and how to correct them. So let’s talk about some real miracle treatments! Keratin treatments and the newest cure all hair reset button, Olaplex, are making waves in the hair industry and you can get both services done with any of our highly skilled, knowledgeable stylists!
Hair Peace Salon is a Brazilian Blowout Certified Salon. What’s that mean? Well, I’m glad you asked! A Brazilian Blowout is a hair smoothing treatment performed in the salon. It utilizes keratin (the protein that makes up hair and nails) to restore luster and softness to almost all hair types. The treatment is comprised of several steps that take, on average, an hour-and-a-half to complete. Results can last up to three months with the use of the proper products.
If you want Brazilian Blowout benefits, but want to “try before you buy,” go for a Brazilian split-end treatment. This service has few steps and is only used on the bottom few inches of hair, so the cost is considerably less – with fabulous results.
Olaplex is an innovative, groundbreaking product that is helping stylists not only push the limits of color services, but actually restore years of chemical and mechanical damage on their clients’ hair … wait for it … in just one treatment. It actually restores the damaged bonds of your hair. Seriously, it’s like a magic reset button. And better still, its restorative magic is permanent – yes, permanent. Wait, am I saying you can do this once and have beautiful hair forever? Yes – if you live in a bubble and your hair is never again touched by the environment, a blow dryer, a flat iron, a curling iron, a hairbrush … OK, you get it, right?
Right now, we are offering Olaplex services at an incredible introductory rate. Give us a call and have a consultation today. All of our stylists have put it to the test and can lay testimony to its amazingness.
We are constantly putting our hair under stress, but armed with the knowledge to make smart hair care choices, we can have healthy, gorgeous platinum blond, fiery red or jet-black locks, even if we weren’t “ born with it.” Remember, you are not alone in the fight for your right to have flawless hair. At Hair Peace Salon, we strive to give our clients the knowledge they need to tame their mane each and every day. Come in and see how we can help you and your hair make Peace.
For more information, visit www.hairpeacecc.com.